Good Reads

  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child- Marc Weissbluth
  • Magic Trees of the Mind...-Marian Diamond & Janet Hopson
  • What's Going on In There?... -Lise Eliot

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Grateful for Mother No. 1


Today was one of those days where I was so sick of staying in the house that I was actually excited to go to the grocery store because it was an excuse to get out of my pajamas. Then it started to pour and the sky was full of lightning so I stayed home. I kept having these images of Baby K being struck by lightning in her shopping cart in the parking lot- I think that's because every fact patrick uses ends up beginning "you have a better chance of being struck by lightning that..."
I was feeling a little disheartened about motherhood until I read an article on CNN.com about a woman in China who is breastfeeding 9 babies that were orphaned by China's earthquake. I was filled with gratitude to have something in common with an amazing woman like Jiang. Being a mother is truly the greatest honor I could ever have, even if it means that some days I do nothing more than read picture books and eagerly waiting for my little one to poop so I can let her be naked for a while afterwards. What a gift...
I am thankful that K has parents who love her and that we are all safe and happy when there are so many others who are not as blessed. I just pray that there are more people like Jiang who can offer comfort and sustanence to those who are in need, and that I too will be able to help others when called upon.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Women like this help keep my perspective in check! Wow!

The one time you are out and about and you get rain and lightning after such a drought!

Bingham Family said...

She looks cuter than ever in these pictures!!! How is everything going?

What I'm Reading Now...

  • Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank... by Celia Rivenbark
  • The Anxiety Book by Jonathan Davidson