Good Reads

  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child- Marc Weissbluth
  • Magic Trees of the Mind...-Marian Diamond & Janet Hopson
  • What's Going on In There?... -Lise Eliot

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Even Wonder Woman was an Alcoholic...


So I haven't been writing because I had originally wanted this to be fun and bubbly and entertaining, and lately these are not adjectives I would use to describe my life. A year ago Monday, I found my mom in the devastating state of alcoholism. Since then she has been in three rehabs and two half-way houses, not to mention the plethora of near-death (in the worst way) experiences. (Just a side note- in the two minutes since I started writing this, I have knocked over my hot chocolate, broken the mug, and somehow dropped a small fire extinguisher onto my foot. I think my subconscious is having a seizure.)
I am now seeing the best therapist ever and have now started to live on my own with the realization that although she and I were joined at the hip for the first 20 years of my life, it's time for me to jump ship eventhough I am now frequently breaking out in hives. I think she is now in Oregon and my sisters and I have had to let go and realize that we can't help her anymore. We have exhausted all of our options and then some.
I recently bought a plant though and named it after my mom. I think that people with dying loved ones should do this, buy a plant and take care of it- water it and talked to it and watch it flourish. It has been strangely healing for me and I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Thanks for being open about this chapter of life. I love your perspective and I know it is difficult to find the perspective that will keep you sane and balanced!
You have no idea how much I understand where you are coming from!
Love you!

What I'm Reading Now...

  • Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank... by Celia Rivenbark
  • The Anxiety Book by Jonathan Davidson